VEVEY INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD 2015/2016
A one-year photo project that will be presented during the next Festival Images in Vevey, Switzerland in September 2016.
Deadline for registration online 9th March 2015.
Under the responsibility of the Fondation Vevey ville d’images, the Vevey International Photography Award 2015/2016 is a competition funding a unique photography project, as well as its exhibition as part of the Festival Images 2016.
- This prize grants the winner the indivisible sum of 40,000 CHF (approx. 33,300 €) to develop, produce and present a project in September 2016 during the Festival Images.
- Allocation of the sum granted: 25,000 CHF will be awarded to the winner to develop and produce the submitted project, 5,000 CHF will be designated to a publication (subject to a publisher) and 10,000 CHF will be managed by the organisers and the winner to produce and promote the winner’s exhibition during the Festival Images.
- All participants are automatically entered for the other prizes: the Leica prize- reportage, the Broncolor prize – light, the Nestlé project grant. Other prizes are possible depending on the partnerships established by the organisers of the Festival Images at the time of the competition. If a candidate only wishes to participate in the Vevey International Photography Award without being presented for the other prizes, it should be clearly stated in the project specification.
- All participants may be offered an exhibition in Espace Quai1 in Vevey (a venue run by the organisers of the Festival Images and devoted to contemporary photography) and/or as part of the Festival Images 2016, independently from the choices of the jury.
3. CONDITIONS FOR THE PARTICIPATION
The competition is open to professional artists and photographers or those in training.
The submitted project must be entirely achievable within a year from when the results of the competition are announced.
Only one project per participant is accepted.
The applicant agrees that their participation is made public by the Fondation Vevey ville d’images where necessary.
The winners of the Awards and prizes agree to an exhibition as part of the Festival Images 2016. They should be present at the opening evening of the Festival.
Participation is forbidden to any employee of partner companies.
4. SELECTION PROCESS
Selection is a two-stage process:
- A pre-jury of experts will nominate 100 projects from the online applications. The photographers nominated will be contacted personally. The 100 nominated photographers must send a complete physical file by post (see point 7)
- The international jury, comprising professionals from the world of photography and art will be responsible for choosing the Award winner from amongst the 100 files presented.The other prizes will be selected by other specific juries designated by the organisers. Neither the composition of the latter, nor the selection process will be communicated.
Registration for the competition takes place directly on the website: www.images.ch.
At the time of registration, the candidate is required to:
- submit a short text in English to present the project
- download 10 images representative of photographer’s style, taken from previous work or relating to the project presented. If the 10 images are not connected to the project submitted, the candidate can add a short text explaining the selection. These images must be copyright free, if the candidate receives the award or a prize, to communicate and promote the competition as well as for communication by the partner of the said prize uniquely in relation to its partnership with the Festival Images.
- pay participation fees.
6. PARTICIPATION FEES
The participation fees (to cover administration and technical costs in connection with the competition) are payable by bank wire with PayPal.
50 CHF or € 50
7. COMPILATION OF PHYSICAL FILE (ONLY FOR THE 100 NOMINATED
Each nominated photographer will be contacted by email individually mid-April.
A physical file must then be sent before 5th May 2015 (postmark deadline).
This file must include the following documents:
–10 to 15 printed images representative of the photographer’s style, from previous work or relating to the project presented:
- The maximum format is A3 (29.7 x 42 cm).
- These images should not be framed, glued or mounted.
- These images should be of sufficient quality to give a good idea of the photographer’s style but must not be exhibition prints.
- All printing techniques are accepted (laser, inkjet, etc.).
-1 document consisting of the title and description of the proposed project (maximum 1 A4 page). As the jury is international, the text should be in English (it is possible to add the French version of the text if the candidate wishes).
-1 document consisting of the biography/CV (maximum 1 A4 page).
-Opportunity, if necessary to understand the project, to include appendices (additional plans, sketches, maps and documents). Maximum of 3 appendices will be accepted.
–The name and the address of the candidate should be on the back of all file components.
–The applicant number received during online registration should be clearly written on the envelope.
Complete files should be sent at the latest 5th May 2015 to the Festival Images (postmark deadline). The mailing address will be communicated by email to the 100 nominated.
Incomplete files or not in accordance with the regulations are not eligible.
8. MAILING SPECIFICATIONS (ONLY FOR THE 100 NOMINATED
The mailing address will be communicated by email to the 100 nominated.
Files should weigh less than 2 kg (4.4 pounds).
IMPORTANT: for all files sent from abroad (ordinary post, FedEx or other express services), please mark it clearly: ‘Documents, no commercial value’.
Applicants who would like their file to be returned must pay an additional 50 CHF, please acknowledge that the return is via standard post (non-registered without liability on the part of the Fondation Vevey ville d’images).
It is responsibility of the applicant to sign for the parcel. In the event of return, the Fondation Vevey ville d’images will not make a second shipment.
The decisions of the pre-jury and of the jury are final and the participant undertakes not to appeal or to take any action against the Fondation Vevey ville d’images or the members of the jury.
The winners will be notified personally and the results will also be published in the press and on the Festival Images website.
10. EVALUATION CRITERIA
-Quality and style of the work and the photographer’s profile assessed on the basis of the work already produced.
-Interest of the proposed project and feasibility within the budget and the time estimated, on the basis of the project description.
11. DEADLINE FOR THE COMPLETION OF THE WINNING PROJECT
The winner of the Vevey International Photography Award will supply the complete work intended for exhibition at the Festival Images before 1st June 2016, according to the directives that will be communicated by the organisers of the Award.
The sum allocated to implement the project will be awarded to the winner in 3 payment instalments, staggered according to production planning and the development of the project.
13. EXHIBITION AND PUBLICATION
The Festival Images will define the exhibition’s budgetary framework and venue.
The exhibition size, format and content will be negotiated between the Festival Images, the artist and where appropriate the potential partner.
The organisers of the Festival Images will do their best to find a publisher for a publication dedicated to the Award’s winning project. This publication will be produced in agreement between the Festival Images, the artist and the publisher.
Following completion of the projects, the winners of the Award and prizes shall undertake to provide a portfolio (non-trade) including project photographs for the Festival Images archives (image size about 40 x 50 cm). These files are kept at the Swiss Camera Museum in Vevey.
The Festival Images reserves the right to present these photographs for exhibitions associated with the activities of the Fondation Vevey ville d’images (Espace Quai1, Festival Images, etc.)
15. SPECIAL EDITION
The winner will agree to make a special edition of an image for the Festival Images. The number of prints, the choice of image and the format will be in agreement between the Festival Images and the artist. The Festival Images is responsible for the costs linked to the production of this special edition.
For any presentation and/or publication of the project, the winner agrees to refer to the Festival Images as follows:
“Winning project of the Vevey International Photography Award, produced with the support of the Festival Images” or another mutually agreed reference.
The Festival Images should validate any reference.
After signing the contract the winner will not participate in any photography festival (or comparable event) in Switzerland without prior consultation with the Fondation Vevey ville d’images until the next Festival Images.
18. AUTHORISATIONS AND RIGHTS
Applicants are responsible for obtaining the authorisations (protection of privacy) relating to works presented for the Vevey International Photography Award. The Festival Images accepts no responsibility for this.
The Festival Images reserves the right to reproduce and circulate all or part of the winning files, uniquely in terms of promoting the Vevey International Photography Award and Festival Images and can share this right with partners of the respective awards if need be.
The files belonging to applicants with winning projects will remain the property of the Festival Images and will not be returned. The winner remains the only copyright owner.
All communication regarding the Award during 2015/2016 is exclusively within the mandate of the Festival Images.
The Festival Images commits to doing its maximum to treat with care the files that it receives, however, it declines all responsibility for any damage or loss that the entrants’ applications may incur, whatever the cause of it. This also applies to ‘with return of file’ registrations.
Participation in the competition implies full acceptance of these current regulations. This regulation is subject to Swiss legislation. The place of jurisdiction is Vevey.
Vevey, 12th January 2015
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
+41 (0)21 922 48 54